My first several hours post-Uterine Fibroid Embolization

Required to stay in bed and lie flat for about 6 hours after the Uterine Fibroid Embolization. The Foley catheter to my bladder was essential. Although the thought of having one originally bothered me, I was now happy to have it. My incision was located on the right side and I was told to keep that leg straight for several hours. Didn’t feel any pain from the incision.

The nurses checked on me quite a bit. Asked me to rate my pain on a scale from 1-10. I don’t remember it being any higher than a 6 or 7. I think I’ve actually experienced worse pain with the monster cramps from my previous periods. It was the nausea that made me feel horrible. Dizzy and queasy and Ick.

Around 7:00 PM, it was time for catheter removal and dinner. Until the nurses heard digestive noises from my stomach, I was limited to a liquid diet (broth, jello, juice, tea). I slowly consumed what I could and then continued my game of pain relief/nausea management. The pain decreased to about a 4 and remained there for awhile.

My first trip to the bathroom required assistance. I felt weak and lightheaded. It progressively improved after that and I was soon able to travel on my own.


2 Responses to “My first several hours post-Uterine Fibroid Embolization”

  1. Julie Self Says:

    I had embolisation 2 weeks ago for my large fibroid. I was fully awake only morphine half way through procedure, no foley either.
    It was a bit painfull. lay in bed still for 4 hours felt abit wobbly when going to toilet. Had a steak meal, pain was tolerable. 11pm pain kept me awake but was hooked up to morphin pump. Had regular check ups. went home next day. Taking volterol now for pains, still not too bad just wondered how long to keep taking them for, any advice. Stomach feels uncomfortable and heavy.

  2. EclecticGeek Says:

    Fully awake? No foley? Steak meal? Man, oh man. I’m glad to hear your pain was tolerable after the procedure. Visited Wikipedia and pulled out my Pharmacology book to find out about your pain medication. Learned something new. Here’s the Wikipedia link: Diclofenac (Voltarol)

    It’s a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). After my procedure, the doctor suggested Motrin (another NSAID). Didn’t have much pain after the first couple of days so I stopped taking it. Did have severe constipation which I later discovered was a side effect of one of the drugs administered in the hospital. Just a thought but maybe this is why your stomach feels uncomfortable and heavy.

    My advice? I’m not sure when you will have a post-procedure checkup but give your doctor a call about your concerns. I saw my Interventional Radiologist today and he, once again, suggested Motrin if I felt any pain. I would think as your pain decreases, your medication could as well. Talk to your doctor to be sure.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting about your experience. I wish you well with your recovery.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: